Design of Low Speed Axial Flux Permanent Magnet Generators for Marine Current Application

A thesis presented to the school of Graduate Studies of Memorial University of Newfoundland in Partial fulfillment of the requirement leadi...

A thesis presented to the school of Graduate Studies of Memorial University of Newfoundland in Partial fulfillment of the requirement leading to the award of a Master of Engineering in ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING

By © SANJIDA MOURY

The aim of this research work is to design, built and test low speed multiploe permanent magnet generators for ocean energy conversion systems. Vertical axis drag/lift type ocean current turbines have low speed due to water speed of less than lrn/s. A low speed permanent magnet generator can be utilized to deliver low power that can be used to power- rated sea pods. The study focuses on the design of a permanent magnet generator, which is suitable for under water application and can generate electric power from the low speed marine currents (typically below 1 OOrpm). This thesis explores different low speed permanent magnet generators and focuses on multipole direct driven axial flux permanent magnet Generator (AFPMG). AFPMG is suitable for direct coupled systems.

Two types of AFPMG are designed and tested for several performance criterions. The prototyped AFPMGs are tested and the results are presented and discussed in this thesis. The first design produced 5.2V, 3.5W and the second design produced about 5.5V, 2W at 70 rpm. Both designs are simple in construction, economically viable and suitable for low electric power generation from ocean currents.

Design of Low Speed Axial Flux Permanent Magnet Generators for Marine Current Application

Download: Design of Low Speed Axial Flux Permanent Magnet Generators for Marine Current Application

Acknowledgements
By the name of Almighty Allah

This thesis arose in part out of years of research that has been done since I came to Seaformatics group. This research has been supported by Atlantic Innovation Fund and Seaformatics. I have worked with a great number of people whose contribution in assorted ways to the research and the making of the thesis deserved special mention. It is a pleasure to convey my gratitude to them all in my humble acknowledgment. In the first place I would like to record my gratitude to my supervisor, Dr. Tariq Iqbal for his supervision, advice, and guidance from the very early stage of this research as well as giving me extraordinary experiences through out the work. Above all and the most needed, he provided me unflinching encouragement and support in various ways.

His truly scientist intuition has made him as a constant oasis of ideas and passions in science, which exceptionally inspire and enrich my growth as a student, a researcher and a scientist want to be. I am indebted to him more than he knows.

I gratefully acknowledge Dr. V. Masek for his advice and encouragement. Many thanks go in particular to Paul Bisop and Brian pretty. Paul went far beyond the call of duty to help me design and fabricate my prototype. I had the opportunity to meet and work with this two great individuals and I learnt a lot from them.

All members of Technical service who paid a lot of time and effort to build the prototype. Their helping attitude towards me will be always memorable to me. A gratefully thank to Tom Pike and Grage Olery. They are always there to offer technical

support. A grateful acknowledges Phil Bonna for his computer support. How can I forget Crocker Moya, who was always with her smiling face and solution of all official problems? It is a pleasure to pay tribute also to all of the faculty members, official and technical stuff who helped me at any context.

I gratefully thank Razzaqul Ahsan for his constructive comments on this thesis. It is a pleasure to pay tribute also to the Nahid Sultana, Nigar Sultana and my little two angles Labib and Romin, without them my life in Canada is boring and friendless. Also thanks to Nahidul Islam Khan, Rousseau Zubayer, Sejuti Baral, Sanjala Rizvan Nashin and Israt Zahan for their encouragement. I would like to pay my gratitude to all of my friends in Bangladesh who always encourage me in different context.

Where would I be without my family? My parents, who sincerely raised me with their caring and gently love, deserve special mention for their inseparable support and prayers. Thanks dad (Abdul Wahab Khan) for always to be with me. My Mother, Mushahida Begum, in the first place is the person who put the fundament my learning character, showing me the joy of intellectual pursuit ever since I was a child. I was extraordinarily fortunate in having such a nice sister Wahida Bamaly who is always beside me with encouragement and love.

Finally, I would like to thank everybody who was important to the successful realization of thesis, as well as expressing my apology that I could not mention personally one by one.

Learn more: Design of a permanent magnet radial flux concentrated coil generator for a range extender application

Special Note: Posting of this document on Blog does not imply approval or disapproval by the Department of Energy. This work is made available to illustrate innovative energy research by multiple researchers involving new concepts. Scientific method requires replication and independent test and verification, and an additional research prototype build-up for those purposes is presently underway by the authors.

 Revealed At Last: Ancient Invention Generates Energy-On-Demand

✔ Nikola Tesla’s method of magnifying electric power by neutralizing the magnetic counter-forces in an electric generator

Generates Energy-On-DemandEasy Power Plan Will Change Our World Forever

✔ Currents are 180 out of phase with each other, Lenz's law naturally is broken
✔ Principle of Resonance to achieve Overunity

Related

Magnetic Generator 3383561326861500526

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Search This Blog

Featured Post

Steinmetz and Tesla's secret about "AC power"

Today's AC technology and radio technology are a mystery if we can ask questions about these two technologies. In this article, I will ...

Hot in week

Recent

item